Saturday 19 July 2014

Tomorrow!

Hello!

Last post before I fly tomorrow. The reality slightly hit yesterday and I had a series of mini panics but overall I am still just massively excited and looking forward to everything.

In fantastic news, I am also a graduate of the University of Southampton!


In even better news, I didn't fall over when I met the pro-Vice Chancellor, which I had always assumed would happen. Success!
My housemates and I managed to come freakishly colour co-ordinated: all in blue, black and white. Clearly we have spent too much time together!
 
Photo thanks to Helen!
My time at Southampton was filled with interesting studies, fantastic lecturers and of course, the best people. I'll spare you any more soppyness, and move on to more blunt Germanic matters.




I haven't really explained the practicalities of my time in Hamburg, so here's a few bits of info:

*I will be living in a WG (flatshare) like last time, but this time the flat has just 2 bedrooms. I don't know who my flatmate will be as we're both replacing two guys who are moving away from the city for 8 months, but I know she's female. She won't arrive until a month after I do, so I will have to live alone for the first time ever. I know its a bit pathetic, but this terrifies me more than moving abroad. I'm not so good with my own company, I find it pretty boring to be honest and other people way more interesting. Still, I have to grow up and learn to be alone sometimes, and I will be at work 8-5 every weekday.

*Although the title of this blog is now a British Intern in Hamburg, I won't actually discuss the company I work for or anything specific about how they operate/the content of my work in this blog. Nor will this be a place to moan about my job, should I not like it (though I'm sure I will). Firstly, that's kind of boring to read, secondly I'd like to actually keep the job! I'll keep work-related discussion to anecdotes and general stories about the day-to-day life as an intern in this city.

*I won't be able to travel as much as last year due to cash-flow and less free time (British council teaching assistantship really is amazingly well paid consider you work 12 hours a week), so I will throw myself into exploring the city of Hamburg instead! Any tips on where to go/what to see very much appreciated!

*Oh, I also don't start my job for another 2 weeks, giving me plenty of time to settle in/sort out a bank account/German simcard etc. And, most importantly, settle back into the German way of life I enjoyed so much on my year abroad


I would like to write more but frankly readers I need to be up at 6 and my stress levels are reaching epic proportions. I'll write a post shortly after I arrive, providing all goes ok.

Wish me luck!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment